Monday, June 28, 2010

Why Can't the English Teach Their Children How to Speak?



Roger Moore is so right! He was complaining in The Telegraph that nowadays received English is decidedly unfashionable!

Just what is wrong with speaking BBC English? Nowadays one  almost  feels discriminated against because one talks in a clear and understandable English.

I live in New Zealand where my English accent is not appreciated at all especially by my Kiwi daughter who finds it 'embarrassing' and yet when I hit New York I could dine out on my accent and on YouTube it is my accent that gets the compliments so do not give up on good quality English it is appreciated.

I refuse to be intimidated or rough up my English accent. My Scottish great grandmother  started life as the original Rutherglen fishwife and my English grandfather was a railway clerk in Gorton Manchester and rose from the ranks and by his academic brilliance to the upper middle class. They would be horrified if I let them down by 'not talking proper'.

It is so frustrating not being able to understand ones own language. I have to listen to BBC World Service and sometimes it is almost impossible to understand the strange English accents but as speakers  using English as a second language  there is some excuse but why when they are learning are they not taught a good accent. India with its call centers is especially bad.  

Good quality BBC English is a joy to hear and should be used by everyone. Why should one have to be ashamed of talking well.

No comments:

Post a Comment