Monday, July 9, 2012

Myers Briggs Type Indicator and me ENFJ

Take test curtsey of Humanmetrics
I have neer been a fan of personality tests. They are not scientific and are virtually impossible to test. Like marketing, psychiatry,  psychology and alternative medecine these fields are still in the realms of art forms.

It is not that these disciplines do not work, they possibly do but there is no concrete, scientific evidence to back up their claims. Hopefully someday soon someone will invent a method by which these can be tested and produce real, tangible proof.

The BBC World Radio has been running a short series on the topic  of personality tests. It seems that the Myers Briggs Type Indicator test is now very popular among corporations, armies and navies and this test is given to prospective employees to see if they can fit in.  This test is not supposed to be used for this purpose and the type that you are assigned is supposed to make no difference as every type has its merits but, and it is a big BUT, it seems that extroverts are preferred.

You do not have to take the test but your chances of employment diminish. In many offices one is assigned a set of four letters like ENTP, ISFJ and some firms even have these on name tags and doors.

I hate tests of any kind. I loathe them and perform badly but there was one example of this test on line and being semi retired and never ever going to rejoin the work force I thought to hell with this I'll have a  go and see how wrong it can be. I must admit I had no faith in it at all. How can answering about 75 simple questions show one's personality type?

You can see the start of the test above. You have to be truthful and you have to answer all the questions even if they appear ridiculous and you have to want to take it. The first You are almost never late for appointments is a Yes for me as I was in the theatre and one had to be in the theatre before the half which is 35 minutes before a performance.  The habit of being early has stuck. As my husband said Janette you would be early for your own funeral! The second was a Yes, the third a No as I do not watch Soaps.

I did the lot and waited 10 seconds for my profile. It seems I am a ENFJ which is Extroverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging. You can read my profile type here if you are interested.

To my horror and surprise the test was surprisingly accurate. Horribly accurate in fact. It knew more about me in those few seconds than many of my friends  have found out in my life. Here is the opening passage:

ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.
ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.  Humanmetrics
Yes I have had grand schemes that I have had to sell. Running a small professional opera company here in Auckland for 14 years was one of them. I have had to charm tenors, conductors, men in general and town councils to bring this to fruition. I believe in my dreams. I could not sell tobacco, alcohol or Mitt Romney. I had to do this by myself and learned many skills on the way. I can light a theatre, make a tutu and run a cafe on occasions when that area ceased to function. Yes to my surprise I am an entrepreneur.

ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.

I do appreciate people and their talents and I did neglect my own needs. Although I am a good performer for that 14 years I sat on the sidelines only performing when I had to and yes I can be hurt. When I was dismissed from my own production it hurt. Although I was never given a reason for their action I had stood up for the right of chorus artists to be paid and their safety of artists and orchestra by refusing to use real glasses with a revolve and I had chosen each artist to make sure the locals were used few of the cast or staff stood up for me. In fact only four contacted me. That hurt. It was a hurt from which I have never recovered. Needless to say the company that acquired my opera and the profits never employed any of my artists again.

The rest of the profile is equally applicable. Famous ENFJ's include Oprah Winfrey and President Obama.

Lastly although impressed I still have a skeptical outlook on this subject but I must admit for me it was spot on.


No comments:

Post a Comment